Thursday, January 16, 2014

Desire to Fly


I keep wondering if I made a mistake in choosing HERE for my "one little word 2014." Everywhere I turn I run into the word FLY.  I ponder the word for awhile. Something in me wants to believe it is possible, but then I move over to the word already chosen - HERE - and I feel grounded, steadied, sure.

Is there a longing in the human heart to fly that never goes away? God didn't create us with wings, yet mankind constantly seeks a way to defy gravity and move into flight. What motivated the Wright brothers to create a plane that would lift them from the earth? What drives man to fly to the moon, into unknown outer space?
If you are expecting me to share some amazing revelation at this point, I am sorry to disappoint you. All I have are questions. That's not quite true. I know one thing. If man has a strong desire that never leaves, God has placed it there for a reason, to lead us to a place or a purpose found in Him.

As a little girl, I used to dream that I was flying. I'm talking about real dreams while I was asleep. I had those dreams over and over. I mostly flew at night when no one could see me but I could see them. I felt safe and free. I can almost but not quite feel the sensation I felt in my dreams. There was nothing like it.

Then I grew up.

I am keeping HERE as my OLW, but I am not turning away from FLY. There's a seed there, planted in my heart, long buried. I will let it germinate as I live here in this place and time, my feet on solid ground for now.






1 comment:

  1. Your post makes me want to recommend a book: Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.