Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Just Say Yes



This week I have been participating in 10 days of #yestothismoment over on Instagram with Liz Lamoreaux. Every day I looked forward to reading her emails where she wrote about everything from taking five deep breaths to noticing the joy all around you. Today's challenge was about writing a list of things to say yes to.

For years I focused on trying to say no because I was bombarded with needs and wants of three children, church, home, community etc. Perhaps I just needed to learn what to say yes to and the rest would have fallen into place.

That was then. What does my "yes" list look like today, right now?

  • Yes to enjoying the things I love i.e. watching the Olympics with my morning tea.
  • Yes to my grandkids. Some people say this is time for me, but my heart is in my family.
  • Yes to my home. After 15 months away, I am loving every moment here, every book and nook and twinkle light sparkle.
  • Yes to my health. I am not sure what that looks like for me but I know surgery is next and then we will see.
  • Yes to new challenges and stretching. Big challenges i.e. 5K in the fall when I've been on crutches for a month and still have a sore heel. Let's take this one step at a time with step one buying new sneakers and wearing them around the house.
  • Yes to precious, priceless friendships.
  • Yes to gratitude, breathing deep, celebrating the little things as well as the big, prayer, tears, forgiveness, letting go, believing, and really listening.

I watched an interview that Oprah had with the CEO of Starbucks. I loved his humility, confidence, integrity and ability to stick to his core values. He shared about a time when he could see the company moving away from its roots, shifting to a profit-focused business. His vision had always been the people, the coffee, the community. "Everything matters" from a clean counter to a smile for the customer. He made a few radical decisions to pull the company back on track.

The times in my life when I've gotten off track have been those when I've moved away from my Yes, my core values.
This post is off the top of my head but I want to make the subject a regular post, with much thought and prayer. Thanks, Liz.

1 comment:

  1. I have missed you. I left your other blog name on my sidebar and failed to put this one. It will be added tonight...
    It sounds like you are getting comfortable getting back into your home routine. I can't image how hard the last 15 months must have been on you but you have certainly given your family a good look at what grace looks like.
    I love the idea of making the lists of what to say yes to...I am definitely going to try to do this as I have found myself in a funk the last couple of weeks....so good to catch up.....hugs nancy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.