Sunday, March 29, 2015

Crowns, Crisis and Critters


I used to be inflexible, unable to go with the flow when my plans were disrupted or crisis occurred. For instance when I planned to head for town but the garage door was frozen shut, I went into a tailspin. I don't know if it's maturity or lots of practice, but I am able to transition well these days. But this week was all kinds of crazy!

Last Sunday we celebrated my beautiful daughter-in-law as she was crowned Mrs. Maine. Two hours of glimmer and glamor created an emotional climax when they called her name. Congratulations Lori, on accomplishing your dream!

Monday was a busy travel day. We arrived home to freezing temps both outside and in. Our house was 41 degrees. Thankfully the pipes were not frozen!

While Hubby was getting the furnace going, we got a call that his mom had collapsed.

The next few days were filled with men trying to fix the furnace and visits to hubby's mom. She's doing fine now. The furnace remains a mystery.

Friday everything appeared quiet on the home front. I settled in for a day of writing. I closed my laptop around 4:00 filled with a sense of accomplishment. Sinking into the kitchen rocker with a new book I planned to catch a little reading time before supper. I'd barely turned a page, when my phone began to ring and a friend dropped by sharing heavy burdens. Mom called to tell me that my brother was back in the hospital. I must admit I fell into bed exhausted that night.

Saturday was uneventful. Hooray!

Then a little after midnight, I sat straight up in bed! The skunk we'd thought we got rid of early winter? He simply hibernated under our bedroom (no foundation under that part of our old farmhouse) and he made his presence known. Hubby muttered, "unbelievable" as I gathered my pillow to head to the upstair bedroom.

I have this super sensitivity to smells and the whole house reeked of skunk! Eventually it seeped into the upstairs; I slept with the covers over my head.

The sun is shining and I am smiling this morning, after purposefully naming all the things I have to be grateful for. I'm going to turn up the heat and open the windows for an airing out.

 Happy Palm Sunday!


1 comment:

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.