Monday, February 23, 2015

What Does Trust Look Like?

Instagram post by Women of Faith

God's plans trump mine. Beth Moore

I was standing in the kitchen by the warmth of the pellet stove when I noticed it was snowing, hard. My plan was to make a quick trip to town to the grocery store before I got worse. A scratchy throat and stuffy head was my waking companion today and I know by the feel of it, I may be at the beginning of a nasty cold. I pray not.

After checking my weather app and noting a snow squall alert with high wind gusts, I cancelled my plans. Then I placed the dreaded call to my mom informing her that I wouldn't be taking her to Portland this week to see my brother. I couldn't take a chance on either of them getting sick. The debilitating flu-like colds people are getting last for weeks. 

The verse from IF:EQUIP's study on Hebrews that I'd been memorizing came to mind.

"Now in putting everything in subjection to Him, God left nothing outside His control. At present we do not see everything in subjection to him, but we see Him." Hebrews 2:8 ESV

If I truly believe that there is nothing outside His control where my life is concerned, I can rest.

I know there are battles and free will and prayer that changes things, but this is a trust issue. It always comes down to trust with me. Not trying and striving or worrying and reasoning and planning.

Trust.

Faith.

Praise.

"My faith often feels so different than the way others' looks."

I read that quote over on Flower Patch Farmgirl's blog. The post so resonated with me that I printed it out and put it on my fridge.

Sometimes we have these ideas of what faith and praise look like. At least I do. God is breaking down those thoughts that block his rest in my life. I've been asking him to tower over every pretension.

I'm not happy about being sick again. I'm coughing more even as I type. Yet I'm backing away from the edge of the pit where complaining and self-pity call to me. (see Jesus Calling today)

CELEBRATE WINTER is written on my 2015 Life Map.  I haven't been doing that but I want to. Life is short and often hard and heavy, especially when I am trying to carry the weight of the world.

Everything I read this morning cried out to me - ASK.

I did and I am.

Like the magnet that holds my Flower Patch FarmGirl post to the fridge, thanksgiving holds my petition before Jesus. My trust simply may look differently than I thought.

What does trust look like in your life? I'd love to hear from you either in the comments or via email.





1 comment:

  1. Trust for me, means submitting all my concerns to Him. When I begin to worry, I just take it to the Lord in prayer, and I leave it there. That's the key for me. I leave it there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.