Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Learning Continues...



Be sure to read & enjoy my final bullet point about what I keep in my Survival Kit!


 
a page from my visual journal


~ Spring in northern Maine is unpredictable.

I find myself relearning this fact every spring. After months of winter, I long for days filled with sunshine and warm breezes. I stare at my empty clothesline, dreaming of white sheets basking in light. 
Alas, spring breezes remain cold, rainy days far outnumbering sunny ones. My first trip to the clothesline yesterday resulted in several black fly bites, despite the hefty breeze.  At the end of the day, I pulled a blanket over me as I settled into my chair with cinnamon cardamon tea and chocolate chip GF cookies (I've had way too much chocolate of late).  I meant to read but pure exhaustion led me to the television instead. 

~ Isolation breeds introspection.

I am an introspective woman at heart but I've learned to balance this character trait with friends and serving. I worked hard at keeping my focus in check over the winter months, but the ongoing winter/spring made it a challenge.





Photos from "Click" May/June 2016

~ Perspective paves the way to joy.

My camera lay dormant much of the winter. I find myself falling back on my iPhone for convenience sake. I don't need to plan as much or think about perspective. My thought patterns defaulted as well. How do I know? Dwelling on disappointment and discouragement mires me in emotional turmoil and robs my peace. Thus joy is nowhere to be seen.




Hubby & me, Memorial weekend

~ God wants to bless me.

I return to this thought again and again. I know He loves me and shows me in little ways everyday. Yet the struggle with my health and constant disappointments of late pull me away from resting in His love. Through His Word, He continually speaks the same message of grace to my soul.

~ Trust is the bottom line.

Trust remains the bottom line for me.

~Memorizing scripture serves me well in battle.

Scripture lifts my head above the noise of the world, stays me when everything changes around me and reassures me that God has not forgotten me.

Here is my memory verse for June:

"The Lord and King is the Holy One of Israel. He says, ' You will find peace and rest when you turn away from your sins and depend on me. You will receive the  strength you need when you stay calm and trust in me. But you do not want to do what I tell you.' " Isaiah 30:15 NIRV

I want to do what He tells me. I want to depend on Him, not myself. I need to trust His seasons and timing in my life. 





~ My Survival Kit

At the end of every Surviving Sarah podcast, Sarah asks her guest what is in her survival kit for this season. Here is mine:

  • Texts, pictures and time with my children and grandchildren
  • Prayer and God's Word
  • Books! I never leave home without one.
  • Netflix. I am loving Heartland right now
  • Long phone conversations with a few close friends
  • Massage monthly
  • Podcasts. I discovered podcasts this winter and I love them. Favorites include - the Happy Hour with Jamie Ivy, What Should I read Next, That Sounds Fun with Annie F. Downs, and several more.
  • iBethel TV
  • Apps on my phone i.e. She Reads Truth, You Bible, IF Gathering and as always Instagram

I will leave you on that positive note. Love to hear your what survival kit contains!















2 comments:

  1. I love your list, and I so completely understand becoming too introspective. This new season of my life is bringing challenges, but your post encourages me because I'm finding many similar habits help me also. :)
    And, as a side note, we took a family trip to the coast of Maine on June 17th, for a week. It was a first for our family, and so very beautiful. But I do have to say that by the end of the week, I was missing some of our hot Ohio weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i appreciate your comment :) Heres a fun fact: I grew up in Ohio. The weather is a lot different there for sure!

      Delete

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.