Friday, April 1, 2016

March Reminders




1. I never get used to the grayness of winter.

Even though we had a warmer winter than normal here in northern Maine, sunlight has been a rarity. The other day, the light coming through the window woke me up. I was so excited that the sun was shining, dispelling the weight of dreariness.

2. Making a small change can create a large shift.

I cleaned my office this month and removed a few items. I added a set of sheer teal curtains, a small designer heater, and twinkle lights. After making these changes, I found myself getting out of bed with a fresh attitude, anticipating my quiet time of meditation, journaling, prayer and Bible reading.

3. Books continue to be God's vehicle for him to speak to me.

I read a couple of books I loved in March.

"Halfway to Each Other: How a Year in Italy Brought Our Family Home" by Susan Pohlman

This book reminded me of the importance of trusting the process, surrender not striving, hope, and moving according to my own rhythms.

"Fervent" by Priscilla Shirer

I am nearly finished with this book and seriously, what I tried for years to do simply happened in the "doing" of this book.
Priscilla encourages the reader to write her prayers with scripture. I began writing them out and taping them up across my desk. The next day I would simply say," Thank you , Lord that you are working in this."
I was able to surrender to the work of God and hold my prayer before Him with thanksgiving, not carry it inside.

4. The struggle in my mind and heart on the issue of healing continues.

Just when I think I know what I believe on this subject, another challenge arises. I return again and again to simple trust.

5. I need physical movement for my mental health as well as my physical well being.

A battle with acid reflux this winter sidelined my walks at the gym. I continue to practice yoga stretches but oh, how I miss those walks! They keep my appetites in check, my focus on target and give me an uninterrupted hour with myself to listen to podcasts and refresh.

6. Sometimes "aloneness" is in the Plan.

For the first half of March I tried and tried to connect with others, only to have door after door close in my face. (Thank God for texting!)
Finally I surrendered to the whisper- Its you and Me, child. 
There is a reason for this, although I don't understand.

7. God surprises me occasionally.

Easter is always hard for me living hours from family. Now this year in a new church promised to make it more difficult. Two days before Easter, my friend and neighbor invited Hubby and I to her family dinner. He actually agreed and we had a wonderful time reconnecting!

8. Just when you think winter is over, it's not.

Big snowstorm slammed us this week, sandwiched between 40 degree days.

9. I love the Apps for Bible Study.

If:Equip new app studying the Nicene creed. All their past studies are on there too!

First 5  has a beautiful screen each day and a short study.

She Reads Truth Love this one too! You can read the Bible in a year or do a 7 day study on Thanksgiving

10. Counting Blessings Leads to Blessing

I am reading Ann Voskamp's devotional of One Thousand Gifts, loving each word and penning my own. Always turns my day.



1 comment:

  1. #2 -- such a great reminder. If I'm feeling down about life in general, changing up the routine, gathering a bouquet of flowers for the kitchen sink, or popping a piece of candy in each of our mouths, can completely turn the mood/day around.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Feel free to leave your blog address or email so I can personally respond.